Hartsville: 615-671-4097
Lebanon: 615-379-7535
Cookeville: 931-398-1162

carbon monoxideYou probably know that carbon monoxide (CO) is dangerous. But do you know what causes a build up of the potentially deadly gas in your home – or what to do if you or a family member experiences CO poisoning?

Here are some important CO safety basics for your Middle Tennessee or Southern Kentucky home:

  • Carbon monoxide is produced when you burn gas, wood, oil, or any other fuel
    • Poor ventilation and faulty equipment are the most common causes of CO buildup; these can result from:
    • Equipment damage
    • A poorly maintained heating system
    • A blocked flue or vent
    • A backdraft near the heating appliance
    • Over-operation of unvented appliances
  • Symptoms of CO poisoning worsen as exposure to the gas increases:
    • Mild cases can cause flu-like symptoms (headaches, nausea, and dizziness)
    • Moderate cases can cause severe headaches and disorientation
    • Extreme Cases can cause vomiting, loss of muscular coordination, and cardiac arrest
  • If someone in your home is symptomatic:
    • Leave the house and get fresh air immediately.
    • Call 911 or your fire department (fire departments sometimes have a special number for CO emergencies – call yours to find out).
    • Visit your doctor
    • Have a professional inspect your equipment before you use it again.
  • Install carbon monoxide alarms outside each sleeping area, on every level of the home. Replace the batteries at least once a year, and replace the unit every five years.
  • Perform routine maintenance on any fuel-burning appliance every year
  • NEVER use outdoor equipment, such as a portable generator or grill, inside the house.
  • Learn and teach everyone in your home about the signs and symptoms of CO poisoning and what to do if they experience them.

At Advanced Propane, your safety is always our #1 priority. If you have any questions or concerns about propane safety, just ask – we are happy to help!