Tips for lighting outdoor spaces
Spring is here, and soon you will be spending more and more time outside your home – and doing more of your entertainment from there, too!
One of the most important, and overlooked, elements when it comes to creating a comfortable and enjoyable outdoor space is lighting. But how do you pick the right fixtures and designs to make your outdoor space both inviting and functional?
Here are eight tips to get your outdoor lighting right this spring:
- Include three types of lighting – Just like an indoor space, a functioning outdoor space should include three types of lighting: ambient (your primary light source), accent (to highlight a particular architectural feature or piece of art) and task lighting (reading lights, pathway lights, etc.).
- Measure first – Estimate how much light you will need to illuminate your outdoor space. Here’s a quick rule of thumb: multiply the square footage of the area you want to light by 1.5 to estimate the total wattage you need for your ambient light source.
- Think “right-sized” – Take measurements in advance so you can shop for fixtures that fit physically and visually in your outdoor space. Try using a template to visualize the size of your fixtures before you buy them.
- Choose efficient fixtures – When choosing fixtures, choose models that sip energy slowly for long nights of entertaining, such as LEDs and high-efficiency propane gas lamps.
- Look from all angles – Viewing your outdoor entertainment space from multiple angles – especially from inside your home – can help you plan your outdoor lighting.
- Keep it subtle – No one wants a spotlight on them when they’re trying to relax for the evening; go for fixtures that bring a soft glow and ambiance to outdoor entertainment space (propane torches are great for this).
- Don’t forget security – Keep entry points to your home and outdoor space well lit to discourage uninvited guests from visiting. Consider adding motion sensors for an added layer of protection.
Propane gas lamps provide a distinctive ambiance for your Middle Tennessee or Southern Kentucky backyard, and Advanced Propane has plenty of them on hand to for your perfect outdoor space. Contact us today to explore propane gas light and propane gas lamp options from Advanced Propane in a range of colors and styles to complement any décor!
Advanced Propane Inc. – neighbors serving neighbors from our Tennessee locations in Lebanon, Cookeville, and Hartsville.