Propane is the cleaner, more efficient choice in Tennessee and Kentucky
Did you know that propane is a great alternative to electricity? It can be used to heat your home and household water, and it’s great for space heating, fireplaces, cooking, clothes drying and more.
It’s cleaner than electricity
- Propane is one of the cleanest carbon-based fuels.
- The average propane-powered home reduces carbon dioxide emissions by nearly 30% compared to all-electric homes.
- Direct use of propane for space heating, water heating, cooking and clothes drying reduces greenhouse gas emissions up to 50%
- Because propane is nontoxic and doesn’t pose a threat to soil or water above or below ground, it is not regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency.
It’s more efficient than electricity
- Propane appliances typically reduce energy costs, delivering better value and comfort than other heating sources.
- Propane is more efficient than electricity when evaluating the total energy consumed. This includes the energy consumed in the extraction, production, processing and transportation of the fuel to the point of use. Based on this analysis, propane is 87% efficient and electricity is 32% efficient.
- With a clean-burning, high-efficiency propane furnace, less than 10% of fuel is wasted in the combustion process. In comparison, more than two-thirds of the energy used by a power plant to generate and transmit electricity is wasted
- Propane water heaters generally cost 30% less to operate than electric ones—or 60% less if you use a tankless propane water heater. Propane water heaters can produce about twice as much hot water as electric units–in the same amount of time.
- Propane heaters for the garage and other cold spaces are a great option because they’re much less expensive to operate than portable electric heaters. Vented propane gas space heaters are easy to install, incredible efficient and extremely safe.
Sources: National Propane Gas Association; Propane Education Research Council.